Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Best Buds~Thanks a Lot

Hello friends!

I'm back with another card using Paper Smooches Best Buds stamp set. Eek! 

I had an idea of a card I wanted to create that used the banner image in the set. Terrific cardmakers have been using those single word dies to span a die cut circle and I think that looks really neat. So I thought I'd try my hand at it using the banner image. I thought I'd die cut a circle out of the top of the card and use a negative space of the die cut to act as a stencil and I would blend some colors like Kay Miller or Laura Bassen does. That was the look I was going for. But not what I ended up with!

So I start by taking a few attempts to die cut the circle on the main panel of my card, because, you know, the die kept shifting and going off center. My tape wasn't strong enough. Got that right. Okay, so I start blending using a negative space circle. I got a couple of hard lines, even though I thought I was being super careful, but liked the look by the time I was done. Picked up the stencil and realized that the "stencil" didn't cover the whole inside of the card and....I got ink on the inside panel of the card. Grr again. So, I start over and messed up the blending a.gain. Oy! I had a mini hissy fit and just about threw it all into the garbage can. But I took a couple of deep breaths and changed my plan. 

Instead of  doing the blended ink circle on the inside panel of the card, I used the same size panel and attached it with foam tape to the top piece with the die cut circle. Okay, I'm sure that doesn't make any sense. 

Here's the card I ended up with:


Originally, my idea was to have that blue inked circle be what you see on the inside when you open up the card. Now it's attached with foam tape to that embossed panel and when you open up the card you have the full white panel to write your note or stamp your sentiment. Would you believe that when I attached the embossed piece that was covered with foam tape to the card base, I did it crooked? Oh my gosh, it was just about the last straw for me today. But I carefully cut it off the card base and attached it to a new one. 


I took a close up of the circle because I liked what I decided to do here. I used my clear Wink of Stella pen and covered the blue inked circle. I love how sparkly it is! Then I added some Stickles to the center of the flowers and used a Gelly Stardust pen on the leaves. I also added some foam under the banner to help keep it from bending in the open space behind it. 

That embossing folder is a Darice brand and I colored the images with pencils and blended with odorless mineral spirits. 

Thanks so much for stopping by! 
I so appreciate the visit!


Photobucket

13 comments:

Alanna said...

What a gorgeous card and you would never know by looking at it that you had such a time getting things to cooperate with you. I'm glad you stuck with it.

Pop's Cards said...

I love this sweetie it looks fabulous and i bet the one you binned did too, we are our own worse critics, I am trying to get to grips with pencils again as I just cannot afford any more markers and as they are drying out I am binning them not replacing them, it is ten years since I used pencils and I cannot remember the card I used to colour on so each card I have tried looks patchy and horrid so went in the bin, ten years ago I think I would have been happy with them :0) anyway what I am trying to say is I bet it looked amazing :0)

Barb said...

Your perseverance paid off! Your card is lovely! And I adore all that sparkle. Looks like you're getting good coverage from your WOS now. Beautiful coloring, as always, my dear.

Kay Miller said...

Oh my goodness! Murphy's Law was in full swing when you made this card! LOL! But my dear, I believe you pulled it off in spite of Murphy! This is gorgeous! I figured out what you were trying to do and that would have been neat, but I think what you ended up with here is just gorgeous! Your coloring is wonderful and I love the embossed background too! So glad you found time to play with your new goodies! ((Hugs))

Darnell said...

Oh, Jeanne, I can so relate. It's just hard giving birth to some cards! This pretty little darling was definitely worth the 21 hours of labor, followed by a C-section after all that!! I like that you used a double front embossed panel and left the whole inside for the message/sediment. Your sponging turned out fab and the little banner bouquet is colored and sparkled perfectly!! Hugs, Darnell

Marika said...

This card is really clever! I don't know if you were to make this way but when your blog opened to me it looked like you had wrapped the banner around the Earth! Pretty neat!

Inkyfingers said...

Some days you wonder why you bother don't you Jeanne, but I am so glad you persisted with this beauty. I love the sparkly circle and the embossed panel is just beautiful.
Hugs
Carol x

cm said...

How well I know those "Grrr..." and "Oy" crafting sessions (today was evidence of that...pretty much accomplished nothing, aside from adding a few more grey hairs to my head!). Your perseverance, however, has paid off, because this is incredibly pretty! Your sponged circle and the sweet banner, accessorized with the pretty little sparkly flowers, makes for a charming combination! Love this (and did you go check out your Online Card Class win? *grin*)
Hugs~c

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

Oh my word, this is so pretty and the CAS feel just adds to the charm of this wonderful card. Love it xx

Anita in France said...

Your card was so worth all the effort, Jeanne ... the embossed pattern is just lovely and what a pretty centrepiece .. the shimmer and shine is gorgeous! I'm empathising with the frustration ... Monsieur Mojo has been conspicuous by his absence from here, so I can relate!! Thanks so much for coming by for a visit, and for your sweet words ... I so appreciate it! Anita :)

Marybeth said...

Hi Jeanne! I love what you ended up with here , the banner and blooms are gorgeous with that beautiful background . Love this!

Kelly Latevola said...

I'm so glad you stuck with it! Some cards are just determined to be a pain :( It turned out beautiful in the end though!!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Jeanne, I would have NEVER guessed that you had any difficulties with this amazing card! It looks fabulous - very intentional and, well, just perfect! The wink of Stella is outstanding - like a sparkly sky after a nice rain shower. Your banner is lovely and there isn't a thing I would change! Thank you for always being there to support me! You are my dearest blog friend! I hope someday we can meet in person! Hugs!